How Growth of Organisms in Log Houses Should Be Prevented?

The wood processing procedure extends beyond the usual drying method. If log cabins are meant to last for many years, wood need to be thoroughly treated. Before the drying process is completed, manufacturers would need to deal with fungus, mold and bug problems. There are different ways to do this, but the most effective and efficient way to do this is by exposing wood with some amount of poison that is toxic to small organisms. In this case, woods may be dipped in a tank filled with certain solution, before being dried. The mixture may contain some amount of herbicides, fungicides and insecticides. This could pose certain risks to homeowners, especially during cases of gassing, when logs emit some vapor during specific situations.

The wood is dipped for a period of time until enough of the solution soaks into the inner layer of the wood to prevent future growth of mold, fungus and bugs. It means that log houses can remain durable for an extended period of time. Vapor could slowly be released for decades, continuously poisoning our children and grandchildren. When choosing wood for log houses, it is important to make sure that manufacturers didn’t use toxic solutions for treating wood. We should know what concentration that was used to treat the wood logs. If children and pets are affected by allergies and other ailments after they stay a period of time in the log house, then we should be wondering whether those logs were properly and safely treated.

In reality, the kiln-drying process is already able to kill much of the existing mold, fungus and bugs. The much reduced water content inside the wood also makes it much harder for microorganisms to thrive. There are benefits that we can get from properly dried logs. It would be unnecessary for manufacturers to dip logs in a highly toxic solution. The log may only be coated with water-proof, non-toxic solutions to prevent increase in water content and penetration of fungal and mold spores. If we insist on having our log house build with green wood, it is important to make sure that enough moisture has been allowed to escape to limit the rate of decomposition.

A lengthy kiln drying process could crystallize the sap inside the tree. On the other hand, houses with green logs could actually still ooze some amount of sticky sap for years after the house is constructed. It is important to make sure that log houses with green wood to use trees that have minimal amount of sap. If the green wood continues to lose much moisture, it could split, warp and twist badly. Also, it is much easier for wet wood to harbor life, where fungus, mold and bugs can be nurtured. If the wood cracks, spores and insect eggs can enter and germinate or hatch. Checking and maintaining our log house are perpetual tasks that need to be completed correctly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.